PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This detailed, advanced handout and worksheet is designed to help students in their study of the short story "The Moving Finger" by Edith Wharton. The short story also appears on the English Literature Syllabus for IGCSE Examinations in 2018 and 2019.
The handout includes:
1) Short biography of the author (Edith Wharton)
2) Informative sections introducing and explaining the key concepts of Literary Modernism and the Uncanny in Gothic Fiction (relevant for a better understanding of the story).
3) Original short story text with glossary of difficult or challenging terms, line numbers for easy annotation and analysis.
4) Close-reading and comprehension questions for the entire short story.
5) Additional essay questions designed as food for thought and to facilitate preparation for the IGCSE English Literature exams.