What does the "napalm girl" photograph reveal about how the Vietnam War was conducted? Many students have seen the disturbing photo of the screaming naked girl but they often have little if any historical context of that particular moment. Further, they do not know just how devastating the American government's war tactics were on civilian populations. With this sobering lesson, students will come to understand the horrible toll of war on civilian populations.
Throughout the lesson students will:
1) Start with a bell ringer that has them analyze a recent famous photograph of a young victim of foreign civil war.
2) Hypothesize what happened just prior to the shooting of the "napalm girl" photograph.
3) Examine two historical sources for historical evidence and context that helps explain the photograph.
4) Formulate a new theory about the photograph based on the evidence collected.
5) Watch a video clip about the full story behind the photograph.
6) Conclude with an exit ticket that has students consider what the photo reveals about the Vietnam War.
Extend the lesson materials included!