The Napping House Retelling Pack is intended to be used after reading the book The Napping House by Audrey Wood. I love reading this book as a part of my Thanksgiving Activities. What better way to spend the day napping after filling up on Thanksgiving dinner?!?! Here is what is included in the pack.
Vocabulary Cards: Print on cardstock, laminate, and cut apart words or leave as a poster. Preview vocabulary from the story prior to reading and/or review vocabulary after reading the story. Place in writing center, pocket chart, or back with magnetic tape and use on magnetic board/cookie sheet. I have my students pick a card, write it down and draw a picture to illustrate the word.
• Story Retelling Cards: Print, laminate, and cut out. Give students a picture to hold during the story. When that student’s part is read he/she will hold up the picture. Print off two copies and play a memory or matching type game. Also can be used with the cut and paste retelling activity to help little ones identify the picture needed.
• The Napping House Story Sequencing Cards: Print, laminate, and cut apart the pictures. As the story is retold, lay the pictures in order of appearance in the book. Back with magnetic tape and use on a whiteboard/magnet board, or use Velcro and a sentence strip to keep the pie in place. Another option is to attach the pictures to blocks and stack them while retelling the story.
• Cause and Effect Activity Cards: Print, laminate, and cut apart cause and effect cards to use on the cause and effect sorting mat. Students identify the cause and effect actions from the book and place on the mat. There is another page of cause and effect pictures that are not from the book to help work on that skill.
• The Napping House Retelling Strip: Print one page per student. Cut apart pictures and glue in order of events on a sentence strip or strip of construction paper from bottom to top, so it looks as if the characters are stacking on top of each other.
• Story Sequencing Student Sheet: Cut and glue pictures in order of the story.
• Emergent Reader: A simpler version of the story to encourage retelling by young readers. Choose how many pages you want to include.
Follow my blog Preschool Wonders
and store by clicking on the green star to be notified when new products are posted. New products are discounted 50% for the first 48 hours!