This file includes multiple activities for the short story "The Necklace." These activities will provide an anticipatory set, assess comprehension, and encourage analytical thinking.
Included in this activity set for "The Necklace":
→ The anticipatory questions encourage students to consider concepts from the story present day. Since the story is set many years ago, this will help students connect to the character. (This does not include an answer key, as all questions are opinion based.)
→ The guide to use while reading helps students track major happenings during the story.
→ The short-answer quiz has 5 questions focusing on comprehension.
→ A discussion starter - questions that review the story.
→ A vocabulary activity and quiz.
→ A literary graphic organizer. This focuses on the conflicts, theme, irony, and setting of the story.
→ A plot diagram graphic organizer.
→ Mentor sentences. These ten sentences cover parts of a sentence (subject, verb, direct object, indirect object, predicate noun, and predicate adjective).
→ A complete lesson plan. This editable lesson plan walks you through the process for teaching "The Necklace."
Except for the graphic organizers, the contents of this set are both editable and non-editable. Unless noted, the answer keys are included.
I have taught "The Necklace" dozens of times. Because of that, I have developed multiple teaching materials for it. I rarely use every activity included in this product; please choose what best works for individual students and classes.
• Marigolds by Eugenia W. Collier: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Writing
• Poison by Roald Dahl: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Colomber by Dino Buzzati Quiz, Activities, Mentor Sentences
• The Lady or the Tiger by Frank Stockton: Pre-Reading, Quiz, Mentor Sentence
• The Monkey' Paw by W. W. Jacobs: Mentor Sentences, Quiz, and Writing Activities
• The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant Quiz and Activities
• The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst: Quiz, Interactive Notebook, and Activities
• Why I Live at the P.O. by Eudora Welty Quiz and Activities
• Wine on the Desert by Max Brand: Vocabulary, Pre-Reading, and Quiz