The following is a 2-3 day (75 minute periods), common core-based worksheet on the New Deal. This worksheet contains a variety of student-centered activities that promote critical thinking and class discussion. The worksheet also includes images, charts, and political cartoons.
Topics covered in this lesson:
• Effects/problems of the Great Depression briefly discussed
• Relief, recovery, and reform
• Different programs of the New Deal
• Challenges to the New Deal – Huey Long, Father Charles Coughlin, Dr. Francis Townsend, Conservative Republicans
• Supreme Court Cases – Schechter Poultry v. US, Butler v. US, Court Packing Scheme
• Success of failure of the New Deal
Activities utilized in this lesson:
• Do now that appropriately sets up the lesson
• Think-Pair-Share – Role of Government
• What should FDR focus on first? Activity
• Relief, recovery, and reform activity
• Assessment of the New Deal
• Numerous primary and secondary sources
• Political cartoon analysis
• Defining Success – New Deal Edition
• Over 40 fact-based and critical thinking questions!
• Enormous opportunities for group work and class discussion.
Also included is an “Advertising the New Deal” project that is perfect for students to gain a deeper understanding of the New Deal.
I also offer a lesson/worksheet on the Causes of the Great Depression...
Causes of the Great Depression - US History - Common Core
...and an individual lesson/worksheet on the Effects of the Great Depression...
Effects of the Great Depression - US History Common Core
...or a bundle of both Causes and Effects lessons at a reduced price...
Causes and Effects of the Great Depression Bundle - US History Common Core
...and a bundle of the Causes and Effects of the Depression and the New Deal worksheets...
The Great Depression and the New Deal - US History/APUSH Common Core
Feel free to edit this worksheet to meet your specific needs. Follow me to receive updates on newly uploaded products. Please take a moment to rate this worksheet. Thanks!