** THIS RESOURCE IS PART OF THE 1st GRADE HOUGHTON MIFFLIN READING SERIES - THEME 9: SPECIAL FRIENDS – WEEK 2.***
Trying to figure out how to aligned your old Houghton Mifflin curriculum to the Common Core Standards? Then this is resource is PERFECT for YOU!
I created this resource out of my own need to align my ELA curriculum to the Common Core Standards. This resource is PACKED with many fun activities, graphic organizers, games, Daily Literacy activities, and blackline masters for the Thinking Maps used.
Worksheets are Common Core aligned with standards listed on the first pages of the file. Every story has an opinion writing activity at the end as well as a connection to the text (text to text, text to self, text to world). Each story also has a sequencing activity.
There are worksheets that require students to answer questions by citing the evidence from the text. I also added Depth and Complexity icons on worksheets for higher level learning.
Please download the preview for an overview of the unit and full page previews.
Week 2 Stories:
Frog Helps Snake
The New Friend
- Focus wall Labels
- Vocabulary Word and Picture Cards CCSS RF1.4
- Story High Frequency Word (HFW) Cards CCSS RF2.4
- Vocabulary Word Tree Map Activity CCSS RF1.4
- Comprehension Skill Graphic Organizer
- Phonics Skills Graphic Organizers CCSS RF2.3a,e
- Phonics Focus: Read, Find, and Color Activity CCSS RF2.4
- Phonics Focus: Write and Match Activity CCSS RF1.2c
- High Frequency Word Spinner CCSS RF2.4
- High Frequency Word Practice and Trace CCSS RF2.4
- High Frequency Word Guess My Word CCSS RF2.4
- Grammar and Word Skills (see each story for details)
- Making Connections: Connecting Text to Text, Text to World, and Text to Self
- Story Sequencing Activity and Thinking Map CCSS RL1.3
- Opinion Writing Activity CCSS W1.1
- Teacher “Cheat Sheets”
- Skip and Scan (Differentiated) CCSS RL1.2
- Describing Our Character Bubble Map (Differentiated) with and without Text Dependent Page #s. CCSS RL1.7
- Words to Know Cards CCSS L1.4
- Evaluate Thinking Map CCSS W1.1
- Evaluate: Story Report Card CCSS W1.1
- Story Structure Thinking Map CCSS RL1.2
- Prefix “un” and “re” Thinking Maps CCSS L1.4
- Circle Map: Moving to a New Place (Student copy and Chart paper copy). Including Vocabulary: Feeling Words
- Grammar: Was/Were CCSS L1.1C
- Base word with Endings es, ies Thinking Map CCSS L1.1C
- Base word with Endings es, ies cut and paste tree map activity CCSS L1.1C
- Synonym Bridge Map CCSS L1.5
- Somebody, Wanted, But, So Activity CCSS RL1.2
- Opinion Writing: In my opinion, I think that snake was… CCSS W1.1
- Opinion Writing: In my opinion, I feel that moving to a new house and school is … CCSS W1.1
I hope that this resource will make your school year so much easier the way it has for my colleagues and me.
** This resource is in no way affiliated or endorsed by The Daily 5 and/or the 2 Sisters. Activities in this unit are suggested activities that can be used as part of The Daily 5 program. Purchasing The Daily 5 book is suggested.
Looking for other stories in this theme?
Theme 9: Week 1 – When I Am Old With You
Need the other 1st grade themes?
Theme 1: All Together Now
Theme 2: Surprise!
Theme 3: Let’s Look Around!
Theme 4: Family and Friends
Theme 5: Home Sweet Home
Theme 6: Animal Adventures
Theme 7: We Can Work It Out!
Theme 8: Our Earth
****Save BIG with BUNDLES!!!****
Bundle for Themes 1-5