The Night of Las Posadas by Tomie DePaola is a beautifully written story about the celebration of Las Posadas in Santa Fe, New Mexico. In the story, Sister Angie is making preparations for the procession as well as the pageant. This year, Sister Angie’s niece and her niece’s husband will be playing the parts of Mary and Joseph. Unfortunately, on the day of the procession, their truck gets caught in the snow. But to everyone’s surprise another mysterious couple emerges and agrees to play the parts. By the end of the pageant Maria and Jose return safely, but the mysterious couple that played their parts have disappeared. After the pageant, Sister Angie goes to the church to pray. There she finds snow on the carvings of Mary and Joseph who look exactly like the mysterious couple.
Included in the package:
- Prezi- A 3D Lesson plan that is similar to powerpoint, with a 3D effect.
- Lesson Plan in PDF format
A. Common Core Aligned
B. Teaches Cause and Effect
C. Includes background information
D. Modeling, guided practice, and independent practice.
- 3 activities to extend the lesson
- 2 Vocabulary Practice sheets (five words per sheet)
- 1 Graphic Organizer (Cause and Effect)
- Comprehension Quiz with 7 Multiple Choice questions and 1 Extended Response. Answer key included.