- Begin this fun holiday activity by sharing Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. This can be done with Disney movie or with the original poem that inspired the movie. Please note that these items are not included with this set of materials and will have to be obtained separately. Ideas for finding these items are included.
- The activity is meant to be used as a creative writing assignment as well as an informative writing assignment. It takes creative thought by mashing up two holidays (or seasons) but then turns the ideas into informational news writing.
- Materials have been included to use with students who do not celebrate holidays.
- Ideas are included for adapting the work for students working below and above grade level.
- I used this activity with sixth grade students, but it could easily be adapted down for 4th-5th graders or up for 7th-8th graders.
- The previous writing experiences of your students and their overall achievement levels will greatly impact their success with this activity. Teachers can incorporate this activity into any writing workshop arrangement.
- The included graphic organizer pages are meant to be copied for the students. The remaining pages are for the teacher to use.
- Please contact me directly at the e-mail listed below if you need help or have any problems with this activity.
- I appreciate your fair reviews after using this product in your classroom. Thanks so much!
Please note -- I do not claim ownership of The Nightmare Before Christmas characters or idea. They are simply used here as inspiration for a creative writing project.
Check out my coordinating product -- The Nightmare Before Christmas Figurative Language Activity