PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This complete novel unit is aligned to the common core and includes activities and assignments that will work with any novel!
This resource includes multiple teacher instruction pages and is organized into four sections. Containing enough content for a year’s worth of literature and novel units, this will be a resource you can use all year long.
In this unit, you will find…
Section 1: Pre Reading
• Cornel Novel Notes
• Pre Reading Predictions
• Academic Vocabulary for teaching a novel
• Vocabulary Quiz w/ Answer Key
• Novel Terms Word Search
Section 2: While Reading
• Story Prediction Chart
• Making Inferences
• Theme and Plot Analysis
• Story Elements
• Plot Structure
• Characterization Activities
• Figurative Language Chart
• Socratic Seminar Resources and Evaluation Form
Section 3: Differentiated Writing Tasks
These writing tasks ask students to write well-planned, thorough responses that are just one paragraph in length. They are differentiated to help young and/or struggling writers and readers, and actively guide students as they write. Grading rubrics and textual evidence organizers are included!
• Compare and Contrast Characters
• Direct and Indirect Characterization
• Figurative Language
Section 4: After Reading
All post reading assessments and assignments include a writing component and two different rubrics: one with preset points values and one with fill-in-the-blank points values.
• Comparing Theme to a Song
• Story Cube
• Novel Quilt (can also be turned into a bulletin board)
• Creative Comic Assignment
• Novel Group Research Project
This resource is included in my curriculum bundle:
Useful Writing Lessons That Might Interest You:
Grammar Resources for Secondary English Teachers
Helpful Tools and Resources for Secondary English Teachers: