Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
OUTSIDERS: Here's an Outsiders unit that will engage your students with standards-based literacy activities as they read S.E. Hinton's classic novel. The Chapter-by-Chapter Response Pages challenge students to dig deep into the text to analyze and make inferences. Perfect for partner work or small groups! The Free-Writes topics facilitate great discussions, and students enjoy choice on the essay and creative writing tasks.
Teachers who have used this resource say:
**"Wonderful resource! Loved the activities and so did my students!"
**"Great standards-aligned resource that kept my students thinking!"
**"Provides high interest differentiated activities for all learners"
**"Wonderful! Perfect for increasing the level of thinking while reading this novel. Thank you!"
The Outsiders Novel Unit contains:
1. OUTSIDERS FREE-WRITES – 12 journal-style writing prompts (one for every chapter) on attractive slides and a Free-Writes handout for student responses. Engaging topics require students to describe, explain, provide reasons and examples.
2. PRE-READING ANTICIPATION ACTIVITY – A Pre-Reading handout gets students thinking about their position on some key issues young people face in the novel and in the world today. Includes 2 project-able slides with directions to facilitate small group and class discussion.
3. ARGUMENTATIVE PARAGRAPH - From the Pre-Reading handout, students choose one issue they feel strongly about and defend their claim with reasons and examples.
4. VOCABULARY PAGES - Eight pages (should be copied back-to-back), with definitions given, focus on 40 words in the novel. The words are grouped Ch. 1-3. 4-6, 7-9, and 10-12. Students study the words and definitions and then place the words correctly in sentences that are given, and also chose some words to illustrate meanings and use in original sentences.
5. VOCABULARY QUIZZES - Four Vocabulary Quizzes are provided, one to match each group of vocabulary words as listed above.
6. SLANG WORDS MATCHING – This presents 12 slang words (or expressions) used in the novel. Students try to match the slang with their intended meanings.
7. CHARACTER CHART - Students record text details for each of the Greasers based on the novel's exposition.
8. GREASERS/ SOCS COMPARE CONTRAST ORGANIZER - Students track similarities and differences between the two gangs based on a number of categories given.
9. CHAPTER-SEQUENCED RESPONSE PAGES - These pages present a variety of prompts that allow students to examine specific chapter details. Students cite text-based evidence to analyze what the text says, make inferences, and analyze dialogue, author’s tone and word choice, themes, and character's point of view. Student response areas are all neatly arranged in varied formats. Students enjoy some discussion around these topics with a partner or in small groups.
10. CHAPTER QUIZZES – 12 quizzes, a 5-question multiple choice quiz for every chapter, intended for quick comprehension checks.
11. “NOTHING GOLD CAN STAY” POEM ANALYSIS – Students apply close reading skills as they examine Frost’s poem as quoted by Ponyboy in the novel.
12. WANTED POSTER ACTIVITY – Students create the poster the authorities would distribute to best locate Ponyboy and Johnny when they are hiding in Windrixville.
An EASY GRADING SHEET is included.
13. END-OF-NOVEL TEST – A 30-question comprehension test - 10 matching, 5 true/false, and 15 multiple choice.
14. “PLOTLINE” GRAPHIC ORGANIZER – A visually attractive 2-page organizer (should be copied back-to-back) with descriptions provided for the terms Exposition, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, and Resolution with plenty of room for student responses.
15. “CONFLICT” IN THE OUTSIDERS – Students analyze types of conflict on this organizer: Man vs. Man, Man. vs. Nature, Man vs. Society, Man vs. Self. They identify a conflict for each and explain how it is resolved.
16. CREATIVE WRITING TOPICS ASSIGNMENT - 3 choices are offered for differentiation. The topics are creative but require text-based details. Students enjoy this 2-page writing process assessment! Includes CREATIVE WRITING TOPICS RUBRIC for grading.
17. ESSAY TOPICS WITH PRE-WRITING ORGANIZERS – A five-paragraph literary essay assignment that offers 3 topic choices and planning organizers to guide students through the process. A LITERARY ESSAY WRITING RUBRIC is included for assessment.
18. OUTSIDERS SHORT RESEARCH TOPICS – 8 research topics/ideas based on references and allusions in the novel. Great for partners or small groups. Suggested products: facts sheet, mind map, poster, PowerPoint, or other tech-based presentation.
19. OUTSIDERS BOOK—MOVIE COMPARE AND CONTRAST –Use this handout as students view the popular Outsiders movie and engage students with Common Core standard 8.7.
20. ANSWER KEYS
21. TEACHER GUIDELINES and COMMON CORE STANDARDS
If you plan to teach The Outsiders, this product is definitely something student-friendly and complete in its scope to keep them engaged!
Please download my PREVIEW pages to get an idea of what this resource has to offer.
Thank you! --Joy
You may also like:
---Yes! Join my list to receiveTeaching Tips, New Product Updates, and FREEBIES from Joy