OUTSIDERS: This Outsiders Novel Study Unit now includes both a print and digital version for distance learning! Engage your students with standards-based literacy activities as they read S.E. Hinton's classic novel. The Chapter-by-Chapter Response Pages challenge students to dig deep into the text to analyze and make inferences. Perfect for partner work, small groups, or independent study! The Free-Writes topics facilitate great discussions, and students enjoy choice on the essay and creative writing tasks.
The DIGITAL version offers colorful, beautifully designed slides that allow students to type their responses into text boxes. Test and all quizzes are accessed with links to Google Forms, and are self-grading.
With both the print and digital versions, you'll be equipped for teaching in all circumstances. You'll also be ready to differentiate to meet all students' needs.
In the download, you will find
--- a PDF with links to the digital version of every activity in the unit
--- directions for accessing the files for Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive
Teachers who have used this resource say:
**"Wonderful resource! Loved the activities and so did my students!"
**"Great standards-aligned resource that kept my students thinking!"
**"Provides high interest differentiated activities for all learners"
**"Wonderful! Perfect for increasing the level of thinking while reading this novel. Thank you!"
The Outsiders Novel Unit contains:
1. OUTSIDERS FREE-WRITES – 12 journal-style writing prompts (one for every chapter) on attractive slides and a Free-Writes handout for student responses. For the digital version, students type directly on the slides. Engaging topics require students to describe, explain, provide reasons and examples.
2. PRE-READING ANTICIPATION ACTIVITY –Get students thinking about their position on some key issues young people face in the novel and in the world today. Includes 2 project-able slides with directions to facilitate small group and class discussion.
3. ARGUMENTATIVE PARAGRAPH - From the Pre-Reading topics, students choose one issue they feel strongly about and defend their claim with reasons and examples.
4. 40-WORD VOCABULARY STUDY - The words are grouped Ch. 1-3. 4-6, 7-9, and 10-12. Students study the words and definitions (given) and then place the words correctly into provided sentences. They also chose words to illustrate and compose sentences of their own.
5. VOCABULARY QUIZZES - Four Vocabulary Quizzes are provided, one to match each group of vocabulary words as listed above. Digital version created in Google Forms (not Microsoft compatible).
6. SLANG WORDS MATCHING – Features 12 slang words (or expressions) used in the novel. Students match the slang with their intended meanings.
7. CHARACTER CHART - Students record text details for each of the Greasers based on the novel's exposition.
8. GREASERS/ SOCS COMPARE CONTRAST ORGANIZER - Students track similarities and differences between the two gangs based on a number of categories given.
9. CHAPTER-SEQUENCED RESPONSE PAGES - These pages present a variety of prompts that allow students to examine specific chapter details. Students cite text-based evidence to analyze what the text says, make inferences, and analyze dialogue, author’s tone and word choice, themes, and character's point of view. Student response areas are all neatly arranged in varied formats. Students enjoy some discussion around these topics with a partner or in small groups. The response pages get students thinking and discussing the events of the novel using text-based details, and this work assures the teacher that students are "getting" all the important ideas.
10. CHAPTER QUIZZES – 12 quizzes, a 5-question multiple choice quiz for every chapter, intended for quick comprehension checks. Digital version created in Google Forms (not Microsoft compatible).
11. “NOTHING GOLD CAN STAY” POEM ANALYSIS – Students apply close reading skills as they examine Frost’s poem as quoted by Ponyboy in the novel.
12. WANTED POSTER ACTIVITY – Students create the poster the authorities would distribute to best locate Ponyboy and Johnny when they are hiding in Windrixville. An EASY GRADING SHEET is included.
13. END-OF-NOVEL TEST – A 30-question comprehension test - 10 matching, 5 true/false, and 15 multiple choice. Digital version created in Google Forms (not Microsoft compatible).
14. “PLOTLINE” GRAPHIC ORGANIZER – A visually attractive 2-page organizer with descriptions provided for the terms Exposition, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, and Resolution with plenty of room for student responses.
15. “CONFLICT” IN THE OUTSIDERS – Students analyze types of conflict on this organizer: Man vs. Man, Man. vs. Nature, Man vs. Society, Man vs. Self. They identify a conflict for each and explain how it is resolved.
16. CREATIVE WRITING TOPICS ASSIGNMENT - 3 choices are offered for differentiation. The topics are creative but require text-based details. Students enjoy this 2-page writing process assessment! Includes CREATIVE WRITING TOPICS RUBRIC for grading.
17. ESSAY TOPICS WITH PRE-WRITING ORGANIZERS – A five-paragraph literary essay assignment that offers 3 topic choices and planning organizers to guide students in gathering relevant details. A LITERARY ESSAY WRITING RUBRIC is included for assessment.
18. OUTSIDERS SHORT RESEARCH TOPICS – 8 research topics/ideas based on references and allusions in the novel. Great for partners or small groups. Suggested products: facts sheet, mind map, poster, PowerPoint, or other tech-based presentation.
19. OUTSIDERS BOOK—MOVIE COMPARE AND CONTRAST –Use this as students view the popular Outsiders movie and engage students with Common Core standard 8.7.
20. ANSWER KEYS
21. TEACHER GUIDELINES and COMMON CORE STANDARDS
22. LINKS TO THE DIGITAL VERSION - The first PDF in the zip file contains all the links you'll need to access the digital versions of all the activities in the unit.
If you plan to teach The Outsiders, this product is definitely something student-friendly and complete in its scope to keep them engaged!
Please open my PREVIEW to get an idea of what this resource has to offer.
Thank you! --Joy
You may also like:
---Yes! Join my list to receive Teaching Tips, New Product Updates, and FREEBIES from Joy