Hoping to engage your students in the epic journey of Odysseus? This unit has the activities, writing assignments, and movie tie in (the gorgeous Japanese film Spirited Away) you need to do just that!
This is my favorite unit I teach! I have adjusted and added to this unit over five years of teaching and it has always been very successful.
This unit includes:
* Daily Lesson Plan Outline
* Gods and Goddesses Mini-Presentations
* Story of Perseus and Medusa Door-knocker Activity
* Background Information Handout
* Direct and Indirect Characterization Worksheet
* "Siren Song" Poem and Activity
* Odyssey Journey Map Activity
* Hydria Information and Activity
* Odyssey Vocabulary List and Worksheet
* Jobs for Odysseus Worksheet
* Phases in the Life of a Teenager Journal Prompt
* Soap Sculpture Mini-Project
* Spirited Away Synopsis and Paper Assignment
* And more! (Video links! Student examples!)
All of this comes to you in a PDF that can easily be printed and utilized in class. Discussion questions where an answer key may be needed is included, though most worksheets are collaborative and do not have one correct answer; for these only the worksheet is provided (since I do not use an answer key for them).
This unit is designed to be taught over about four weeks and to entertain and engage high school students. It is not currently aligned explicitly to CCSS; however it includes a ton of material that does align with CCSS such as two expository readings, reading and writing poetry, connections to the text, projects that ask students to prioritize events in the book, and a comparison essay assignment. It was originally designed to be used with excerpts of The Odyssey in our textbook though I am using it as is this year with the Dover Thrift edition, so it can be used with many different translations of The Odyssey and is not exclusive to one textbook or translator.
This product is an excellent deal as well! The price is the total price of the film assignment and soap sculpture project alone! This unit includes much more, covering 4 weeks of class time!
Please check out the preview as it includes pages not shown in the thumbnails.
Keywords: The Odyssey; Odysseus; Spirited Away; Greek Literature; Classic Literature; Japanese Animation; Hero; Journey; lesson plans; unit plans; literature; printables; worksheets; handouts; fun