This poignant and important Cynthia Rylant story brings students into the life of a character that changes her worries and loneliness into happiness with the help of a shy brown puppy. This 47 page book response journal includes graphic organizers, constructed response writing, vocabulary, and story elements that include:
- Fiction vs. nonfiction
- What do you know about...
During Reading Activities:
- Important story events
-14 specific comprehension questions
After Reading Activities:
- Character analysis – proof from text
- Compare and contrast character from beginning to end of book
- Cause and effect
- Friendly letter writing - letter to character
- Main Idea
- 4 Reader's response writing prompts / text to self
- Book rating pages
- Author's purpose
- Vocabulary cards-ABC order of vocab. words
- Beginning, Middle End
- Adjective find
- Important Nouns
- Paragraph writing on main character
-7 page Diary- retelling from the main character’s point of view (with prompts)
Can be used in large, small and individual settings. Pages can be used individually or as a packet. Also useful for assessment.
Thank you for considering this work!