This resource is a SIMPLE TEXT, fully editable and informative 94 slide powerpoint on the Olympic Games, their origin and development and on the forthcoming Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games in August 2016. It is appropriate for younger / Special Education students.
The powerpoint includes a wealth of information and contains references to
• How the Olympics began in Ancient Greece and why they were held. The events that took place.
• The banning of the games by the Roman Emperor, Theodosius I.
• The revival of the games by Baron Pierre de Coubertin in 1896 and the forming of the Olympic Committee.
• The Olympic logo - the rings and their significance. The origins of, and the inspiration for, the 'Olympic Creed' and the 'Olympic Motto - ' Cistius, Fortius, Altius'.
• The New Olympic Games in Athens - the events (which included the tug of war!) and competitors, the medals given - silver and copper. The absence of women from the first games.
• The inclusion of women for the first time in the Olympic Games in the 1900 Paris Olympic Games.
• Information on the 28 sports that will be included in the Rio Games.
• Notable Olympic achievements - Usain Bolt's Olympic records in 100 metres and 200 metres, Michael Phelps - the most 'decorated' Olympian with 22 Olympic medals, 18 of which are gold and Bob Beaman's' longest standing' Olympic record for the long jump.
• The stadiums and venues at Rio de Janeiro - Barra da Tijuca, Copacabana Beach, Maracanã and Deodoro.
• The significance of the Rio 2016 symbols, the Olympic flame and torch journey.
The resource also contains hyperlinks to videos of:
- Usain Bolt's Olympic record-breaking 100-metre race in London 2012
- Bob Beaman's long jump
- The Olympic Mascots - Vinicius and Tom, the inspiration behind their design and naming (Vinicius de Moraes and Tom Jobim, the pioneers of the ‘bossa nova’ genre of music)
- A 'sneak' preview of Rio' to whet you and your pupils' appetite’!
A slightly longer (92 slides), more detailed powerpoint for older students is available to purchase for $3.50 from https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Olympic-Games-and-Rio-2016-Presentation-91-slides-2549665
Inspire and Educate!