This is a combination of my two separately sold items:
1. The One and Only Ivan: Read Aloud Packet - Response Journal, Teacher's Notes
2. The One and Only Ivan: Assessment Pack, Quizzes, Tests
Download the free preview here, or check out the items' separate pages for more information.
1. Reading Response Journal Booklet (To be copied front and back)
• One booklet with graphic art, one without
- Vocabulary previews
- Chapter Questions
- Questions and Notes lined pages
- Organized by parts, ordered by chapters
2. Booklet Printing Instructions
3. Complete Set of Reading Response Journal Pages (In its original large pdf format to be printed as the buyer desires)
• One set with graphic art, one without
4. 1 Set of Teacher Notes of the Entire Book
- Questions and Answers
- Notable vocabulary
- Author's Craft - lines from the book (for Writing connections)
- Organized by Parts, ordered by chapters
5. Assessment Pack
Assessment 1A and 1B
• Parts 1 and 2 (Chapters Hello – The Beetle)
Assessments 2A and 2B
• Parts 3 and 4 (Chapters Change – Something Else to Buy)
Final Cumulative Assessments A and B
• Parts 5, 6, 7 (Chapters Another Ivan – Silverback)
Regarding the Response Journal and Teacher's Notes:
The contents inside are flexible, and can be used however you want. For example, as a quick-check or response after a read-aloud, a follow-along in a book club or literature circle, or notable stopping-points for turn-and-talk during a read-aloud.
Some teachers like using resources WITH GRAPHICS, and some prefer to do WITHOUT them, so BOTH types are included in the download.
Regarding the Assessments:
The 6 assessments in this packet are titled Types A and Types B. Type B assessments are modified versions of Type A’s. The difference in A and B is that A is slightly more challenging.
Some of B’s Differences May Be:
• Shorter questions
• Shorter answers
• Simpler vocabulary
• Simpler questions
• 3 answer choices instead of 4
• Less expectations and instructions for open questions.
The smaller assessments are 10 questions each (8 multiple choice questions, 2 open-answer questions). The final cumulative test is supposed to resemble a standardized test (16 multiple choice questions, 4 open-answer questions). Only the final cumulative comes with fill-in-the-chart type questions.
Because of the reality of standardized testing, it's important for teachers to provide students opportunities to connect their learning to test practice. These assessments are designed so that students will have practice with standardized formats, BUT always include open-answer questions for the teacher to gauge how well students can demonstrate their knowledge in writing.