The One and Only Ivan by: Christina Applegate is an amazing book. I stayed up late one night and read the entire book in one sitting because I could not put it down. Each character is able to exude many emotions in a small space. I felt like I was reading a long poem or a series of short prose pieces that all fit together like a beautiful mosaic.
The story centers on Ivan, a gorilla, who was stripped from his home and has been living in a shopping mall for 27 years as the mall's main attraction.
This resource includes two newspapers with 6 total writing prompts!
1. My Visit to the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade (Pretend like you visited the Big Top Mall and saw Ivan, Stella and Ruby. What was it like? Did the animals seem sad to you? Was Ivan painting?)
2. My Brave Ivan saved Ruby, My final Thoughts by: Stella
3. Why I helped Julia save Ivan and Ruby and adopted Bob! by: George
Set in a year later from the end of the novel
1. What my life is like now! by: Julia
2. My amazing life since leaving my cage by: The Mighty Silverback
(Ivan refers to himself as the mighty silverback at the end of the novel since he is now able to be a gorilla and not refer to himself with his human given name, Ivan)
3. My life since Ivan and Ruby left. by: Mack