This lesson covers the origins, achievements, and characteristics of the Ottoman Empire during the Early Modern period.
The lesson includes a 2 page article + some guiding questions. There is a brief powerpoint that gives the students their directions to read the article and respond to the questions. Then students use the information they learned to create an "Ottoman Newspaper" where they illustrate specific topics.
Afterwards, the rest of the powerpoint very briefly summarizes the main point points of the article.
The 2 page article covers the following topics:
1. The origins of the Ottoman Empire
2. The defeat of Constantinople and the Byzantine Empire
3. The Ottomans as a gunpowder empire.
4. The role of the Sultan
5. How Sultans helped ensure justice.
6. The role the Ottomans played in trade between Europe and Asia as middle men along the Silk Road
7. The devshirme, janissaries, and millet policies
8. The military and building achievements of Sultan Suleyman
Alternatively, you could just assign the article to the class to read and respond to.
For Texas teachers, this lesson addresses the following TEKs:
WH1 History. The student understands traditional historical points of reference in world history. The student is expected to:
(D) identify major causes and describe the major effects of the following important turning points in world history from 1450 to 1750: the rise of the Ottoman Empire
WH7 History. The student understands the causes and impact of European expansion from 1450 to 1750. The student is expected to:
(D) explain the impact of the Ottoman Empire on Eastern Europe and global trade
2 page article, 10 slide powerpoint