For the novel The Outsiders, this document can act as classwork, guided reading, guided notes, homework or a short reading analysis for each chapter. The document has 18 assignments - approximately every 10-12 pages of the book. There are two different formats included. For the first format, for each homework, students answer 7 questions on ELA skills such as...
• Identifying main idea and support using details from the text
• Identifying and analyzing parts of plot – how elements of a story interact
• Identify conflict and types of conflict
• Analyze how conflict affects characters and creates suspense
• Analyze character and make inferences about character motivation
• Identify and analyze symbols for their deeper meaning
• Identify themes of the text and explain the lesson learned
• Analyze the effectiveness of flashbacks and foreshadowing
• Analyze setting and how it affects characters and conflict
• Analyze imagery, figurative language, and quotes to determine author's purpose
• And many more skills!
Students must also identify an example of figurative language and draw the visualization. The end of each chapter leaves room for a mini-reading quiz for students to make sure they are reading.
For the second format, students complete the 7 questions mentioned above, but there is also a "good readers" chart/organizer. It asks students to complete tasks every good reader does - summarize, predict, connect, ask questions, etc. The first page is a homework responsibility sheet. For each homework the student turns in, completed, and on time, they receive a stamp. Incomplete homework receives an X and stamp, and missed homework results in an X. Students love a fully stamped homework sheet!
Also included is an answer key! The key answers the question but not all questions fit into just one answer! Use at your discretion. Also, there are simple comprehension quiz questions with answers in the key.