NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from THE OUTSIDERS. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence it is used in from the book.
Examples of clues:
2. [His hair] fell over his forehead in wisps and kicked out in the back in tufts and curled behind his ears and along the NAPE of his neck. (ant.) ANSWER: front
4. “And,” Two-Bit added grimly, “a few other of the socially ELITE checkered-shirt set.” (syn.) ANSWER: privileged
5. “I must have been outa my mind to ask for [Marcia’s number]. I think I’m a little SOUSED,” [Two-Bit said]. (ant.) ANSWER: sober
6. “Gee,” Johnny said WISTFULLY, “it sure will be good to get into a car again.” (syn.) ANSWER: wishfully
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the THE OUTSIDERS edition of Bookmarks Plus. See list below.
Also, these 25 words are contained in my THE OUTSIDERS Prereading Crossword, which includes 50 challenging words students will run across in the book. See list below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Visit my store to receive your free The Outsiders Bookmark Plus product!
Below are my 15 fun and unique products over THE OUTSIDERS! Check them out in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: THE OUTSIDERS edition—A Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading tools!
• THE OUTSIDERS Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 300 questions!
• THE OUTSIDERS: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• THE OUTSIDERS: 50-word Prereading Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the THE OUTSIDERS edition of Bookmarks Plus and the THE OUTSIDERS Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• THE OUTSIDERS: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—A Great Spelling Workout! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• THE OUTSIDERS: 10 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: The Mississippi River; Jim’s Escape; Pap; Bricksville; Huckleberry; The King and the Duke; Huck Vernacular; Mark Twain; Tom Sawyer; The Grangerfords and the Shepherdsons . Who doesn’t love a code?
• THE OUTSIDERS: Completing Characters’ Quotations Crossword—Fun! Students use their knowledge of the book as well as their spelling skills to figure out what word goes in the blank!
• THE OUTSIDERS: Challenging Words Crossword—Fun Way to Learn New Words! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• THE OUTSIDERS: Reading-for-Detail Crossword—Fun Objective Test Review! Great way to check students’ reading abilities.
• THE OUTSIDERS: 6 Word Searches Based on the Novel! Categories: Characters; Dally; Soda Pop; Socs; Proper Nouns; Johnny
• THE OUTSIDERS: Identifying Characters by Quotations Crossword Students use their knowledge of the story as well as their spelling skills to solve these fun puzzles!
• THE OUTSIDERS: Completing Clichés Crossword—Fun! Great way to familiarize students with clichés!
• THE OUTSIDERS: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• THE OUTSIDERS: 12 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations from the Novel! Students decode thought-provoking quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• THE OUTSIDERS: 16 Theme-Related Quotations Plus Teaching Ideas! Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!