When you look in a U.S. History book you see all sorts of images from the different time periods in United States history. Each one of them tells a story that is sometimes accurate and sometimes misleading. However, each of them were created with a purpose in mind -- to convey a message about what was happening during a specific time in the story of America.
This product allows your students an opportunity to look at 15 select paintings that depict an event (accurate or not) about a time in the American Revolution that made an impact. Students will analyze 15 different paintings (in a .pdf format) that you can choose to print and place in binders or show on the screen for the whole class to see. Students will make assumptions as to what they think was accurate in the painting, inaccurate in the painting, and what event they think the painting is depicting. Not all of their inferences may have an explanation behind them that you will know the answer to, and that's OK. If they are curious enough they will find out on their own. At least it gets them thinking and putting themselves in the moment of the painting.
The paintings included in this product depict:
1. The Reading of the Declaration of Independence in Boston
2. Patrick Henry's "Give me liberty, or give me death!" speech
3. The Boston Tea Party
4. Paul Revere's Midnight Ride
5. The Battles of Lexington & Concord
6. The Second Continental Congress Voting for Independence
7. Washington Crossing the Delaware
8. Betsy Ross and the First American Flag
9. Washington Praying at Valley Forge
10. John Paul Jones "I have not yet begun to fight!"
11. The Surrender at Yorktown
12. Baron von Steuben Training Washington's Troops at Valley Forge
13. The Signing of the Treaty of Paris
14. Washington's Farewell to His Officers
15. "Molly Pitcher" at the Battle of Monmouth
I teach 8th grade U.S. History and students have enjoyed this activity in the past and it gets them active in their learning, allows them to talk with a partner, and tricks them into learning about history--my favorite part!
Check out my store for more U.S. History products. Here's just a few from my store:
American Revolution Bundle - 8 Different Activities
Civil War - 41 Historical Fiction Book Choices with Lexile Scores
Cloze Reading Strategy - The American Civil War - 61 Blanks with Word Bank
Revolutionary War Bundle: Two Revolutionary War Review Activities
The Articles of Confederation - Federalist vs. Anti-Federalist Survey Included
The Road to the American Revolution Word Find
Click the green star next to my store logo to follow Surviving Social Studies. Following my store simply means you'll get e-mail updates about new products, freebies, and when I'm throwing a sale. Thanks for visiting!