Note: This crossword can be used either before reading (to prepare students for the book) or after reading.
This crossword puzzle is based on challenging words from THE PEARL. Every answer is a synonym for a challenging word, such as SENTINEL, COLLUSION, and MALIGNANT. The original sentence in which the word appears has been provided, with the challenging word placed in all caps. Words are defined according to the context in which they are used.
Examples of clues:
* [His canoe] is the BULWARK against starvation. (Ch. 2) Answer: safeguard
* …often, in the excitement of bidding for a fine pearl, too great a price had been paid to the fishermen. This was extravagant and not to be COUNTENANCED.
(Ch. 4) Answer: allowed
* Kino, hurrying toward his house, felt a surge of EXHILARATION. (Ch. 5) Answer: energy
Since the answers consist of one word, students will have more success solving the puzzle if they use a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
Use before or after reading. A fun way to learn new words!
Note: The 25 Words to Know are from The Pearl edition of Bookmarks Plus--use both to reinforce meaning!
The Pearl edition of Bookmarks Plus—Handy Little Reading Aid!\
Here are my unique resources over THE PEARL—perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day!
• Bookmarks Plus: THE PEARL edition—Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• THE PEARL: Vocabulary Crossword—Companion Product to Bookmarks Plus! Students provide synonyms for 25 challenging words from the book, the same words from THE PEARL edition of Bookmarks Plus. Reinforce meaning by using both products!
• THE PEARL: 10 Quotefall Puzzles—A Great Spelling Workout! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• THE PEARL: Word Search—25 Animals from the Story w/Hidden Message Hidden message: Money is the root of all evil.
• THE PEARL: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two!Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrase. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!