The Pearl by John Steinbeck Activity Bundle
If you like this bundle, you will like my, "Of Mice and Men Bundle," as well
This is a very comprehensive bundle with more than 100 pages of instructional resources and activities related to John Steinbeck’s classic novel, "The Pearl.". I think your students will enjoy this bundle which includes.
1) Comprehension Questions and Quotes activities
Students answer questions and analyze the significance of important quotations from the story. Answer keys are included.
2) Scavenger hunts for information for each chapter. These are 32-35 question active reading scavenger hunts where students actively hunt for information while they read. These scavenger hunts are meant to enhance enjoyment and check for understanding. They are always a hit with my high school kids. Answer sheets are included.
* Note: Each chapter contains either a Questions and Quotes activity or a Scavenger Hunt. Chapter 3 has both to give you variety and choice
3) Word Detective/Word Attack vocabulary activities for all 6 chapters.
In these activities, students act as vocabulary detectives using their word attack skills to determine the meaning, of new words in context using actual dialogues and narration from the story. They are also asked to provide synonyms and identify parts of speech. There are also questions related to figurative language and word variation. Answer sheets are again included.
4) Crossword Puzzles related to characters, events, vocabulary, and figurative language for all 6 chapters.
5) Two interactive Power Point Presentations which allow your students to actively participate in a discussion. They also have attractive clipart and graphics.
a) The Pearl Chapter 1 Power Point
This is great review for Chapter 1 which also focuses on some interesting cross cultural and social conflicts such as the cultural clash between traditional Indian animism and Christianity, the love-hate relationship for the colonial rulers, as well as poverty and racism. My kids really liked it and it helped them to get a handle on some important cultural and social themes which are prevalent throughout the story.
6) The Pearl Irony Power Point
This is an interactive Power Point which introduces your students to the different kinds or Irony and discusses situational, verbal, and dramatic Irony found in the story.
7) A 9 page explanation of the symbols and symbolism found in the story. There is also a comprehensive analysis of how these symbols drive the plot and theme of the story.
8) The Pearl Figurative Language Worksheet (Test) and Power Point
This is a packet focuses on the Figurative Language in The Pearl by John Steinbeck. It contains,
Great to hear this. Thank you for your kind words. It's a nice story.
a) A figurative language mini lesson which teaches your students the concepts of figurative language such as simile, metaphor, personification, and hyperbole.
b) A worksheet with 20 passages containing the different types of figurative language in them I have also included an answer sheet. It can be used as a worksheet or a test.
c) An active reading graphic organizers to help your students identify and chart the figurative language in the novel as they read.
– Answer sheets are included.
Again I don’t think that you will find a more comprehensive and fun bundle on the Web. There are over 100 pages of activities. Also I will be adding things as the year progresses. Get it now at this price!
You can also access my store at