This unit bundle for The Pearl by John Steinbeck guides and challenges students to analyze plot, characterization, conflict, and symbolism in the classic novella. This resource includes nonfiction background activities, projects and vocabulary materials, full lessons, a study guide, and a final test. This unit may be used with or without Interactive Notebooks. Answer keys and rubrics included. (grades 7-10)
What You Get:
1. Editable Unit Calendar
2. Nonfiction Background Activities
- Steinbeck Bio and Cortez Pearls Webquest in the style of doodle notes
3. Reading Guide
- Student-created guide to major elements in each chapter, based on a choice board
4. Journal Prompts
- three bellringers per chapter, based on quotations from the text
5. Vocabulary Resources
- lists, foldables, and quizzes for key vocabulary words in each chapter
6. Symbolism Flipbook
- Hands-on activity for analyzing symbolism in any text
7. Symbolism Song Project
- Creative task to demonstrate understanding of symbolism
8. Character Analysis Lesson & Essay
- full lesson on the hows and whys of characterization, culminating in a text-based analysis
9. Study Guide
- Review of key story elements and practice citing textual evidence
10. Unit Test
- Final exam including comprehension questions, vocabulary, and analysis of literary elements and important quotations.
Note: This product is not editable.
Feedback & Followers
Did you know that you can receive credit
towards future TpT purchases by reviewing this product? If you enjoy this product, please leave a review at the product page or through “My Purchases” under “My Account” at TpT. Ratings make the TpT world go round. :)
You can also follow me for the latest news on products and sales.
If you have any questions, I’d love to hear from you!
-Danielle @ Nouvelle ELA
Pinterest: Nouvelle ELA Teaching Resources
Facebook: Nouvelle ELA
Blog: Danielle @ Nouvelle ELA