Many reading programs skim over phonemic awareness or jump right into phonics. Phonemic awareness is the foundation for reading, and mastery requires lots of practice.
Oftentimes, as the teacher, we're left scrambling to support students who need more intensive instruction in basic phonemic awareness skills.
This is the first installment of The Phonemic Awareness Solution Program. It equips you with the tools to help your students master basic blending skills. These activities and games have been created with kindergarteners and first graders in mind, but the program is also recommended for older students who struggle with reading and/or dyslexia.
There are five primary activities in this program:
1) Blend and Point. This is the best way I've found to introduce and practice phoneme blending. This program comes with 10 practice sheets for continuous sounds (easier) and 10 practice sheets for stop sounds (more challenging). All of the worksheets include corresponding, kid-friendly CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) images to make the activity more fun! Set your goals, print, and you’ll be ready to start in 5 minutes. No prep required!
2) Blend and Say. This activity takes Blend and Point to the next level. Now instead of pointing to the target image, students practice their blending out loud. We even threw in a few extra freebies here – like a dinosaur blending board!
3) Blend and Read. This is the most challenging activity in the program. Students must use their phonemic awareness skills with phonics. My students love to race a (teacher-provided) toy car along the racetrack towards the target CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) image.
4) Blending BINGO. A very popular game in my office. Your students will be having so much fun, they'll forget they're actually learning blending! Speak words one phoneme at a time and let the student(s) blend the sounds into words. This game is terrific for extra take-home practice or an end-of-session reward. Bright, full-color images line each of the Blending BINGO cards.
5) The Guessing Game. Have fun challenging students to guess the "secret" CVC word in your "magic" bag. How fast can the student guess the word?
All the activities in the Phonemic Awareness Solution for Blending come with detailed, concise teacher instructions allowing paraprofessionals or parents to provide effective instruction.
In addition, we've included customizable progress monitoring templates, perfect for IEPs. You can set specific, measurable goals and enjoy watching your students progress!
This program is a 64-page, full-color, vertically-oriented PDF. The file is ready to be printed and used right away!
This program effectively teaches phoneme blending, but does not cover word segmenting and simple word manipulating. These programs are coming soon!
Learn more about the The Phonemic Awareness Solution for Blending or pick up your copy on my website: