Music students have constant struggles when it comes to reading music notation, and with good reason! It's a completely foreign language with a whole set of symbols all its own. Reading rhythms can be particularly challenging- and that's where The Pie Game can help!
Long used by band directors and music teachers around the world, The Pie Game teaches rhythms by assigning different types of pie to each written rhythm. This product gives you a fun and engaging worksheet that teaches students to read rhythms using "Pie Words" and also covers the real musical content and rhythmic values. You will receive a Zipped folder that includes the following files:
1. Pie Game Worksheet and Instructions: Instructions, worksheet, and answer key to fill out that assigns Pie Words to each rhythm. This file includes the lesson plan and extension ideas.
2. Pie Game Slideshow: This file is given in both .pdf and .pptx format. Each rhythm is presented over a series of three slides, first showing just the image, then revealing the Pie Game word and the Rhythmic Value. Following each new rhythm is a slide for each corresponding Rhythm Exercise.
3. Pie Game Rhythm Exercises Handout: 24 exercises of increasing difficulty to practice reading rhythms. This can be printed to give to each student, but it may not be necessary if you are using the slideshow with a projector.
4. Pie Game Rhythm Exercises Slideshow:This file is also supplied in both .pdf and .pptx formats. It only includes the slides for each of the 24 rhythm exercises. This file will make the extension activities run more smoothly, as each rhythm exercise is on its own slide.
5. Pie Game Quiz: Written quiz covering the "Pie Words" and the musical content.
6. Pie Game Quiz Answer Key.
A separate file with Slideshow Instructions is also included.
Follow this link to like my Facebook page so you can stay up to date on new products and special offers! Hutzel House of Music (Facebook Page)
Happy Pi Day!