These 25 analogies are based on the Words to Know list from THE PINBALLS edition of Bookmarks Plus (see product list below). Students are given a thorough explanation of both synonym and antonym analogies. Then, for each item, they are instructed to decide the type of analogy and choose the word that correctly completes it. See the preview to read the instructions students are given.
Here are some examples of analogies:
_____ 3. He wished he had thought to FORGE some names on them.
feel : touch : : forge : _____
_____ 4. Their faces looked GNARLED enough to put on a cathedral.
fancy : plain : : gnarled : _____
Below is a list of my unique products over THE PINBALLS—perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them in my store.
• THE PINBALLS 12 Shuffled Similes—Fun and Unique!
Students rearrange tiles to form similes from the book.
• THE PINBALLS: 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas
Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
• THE PINBALLS: 2 Vocabulary Crosswords—Fun Learning!
Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• THE PINBALLS: 20 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Good Spelling Workout!
Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• THE PINBALLS: 3 Reading-for-Detail Crosswords—Good Objective Review!
A great way to check students’ reading skills and understanding of the story!
• THE PINBALLS: 25 Vocabulary Analogies—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Students complete analogies containing the 25 Words to Know from The Pinballs edition of Bookmarks Plus. Good practice for standardized tests!
• THE PINBALLS: 50 Vocabulary Analogies—Mix and Match! Students complete analogies containing 50 challenging words. Good practice! NOTE: All 25 Words to Know from The Pinballs edition of Bookmarks product and the 25 Vocabulary Analogies product are included in this product.
• THE PINBALLS: Crossword Based on Homophones from the Book—Fun! The answers to this puzzle are pairs of cross-referenced homophone from the book. In parentheses after each clue is the clue number of that homophone’s “partner.” Students won’t know all the answers, but they can use one homophone to help solve the other. A fun spelling workout and a very unique approach to learning homophones!
• THE PINBALLS: 10 Word Merge Puzzles—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• THE PINBALL: 3 Categorized Word Searches—-Categories: Characters and Names; Television Shows and Famous People (plus 2 dogs); Products. Each word search has a hidden word or phrase.
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!