These 50 analogies are based on vocabulary from THE PINBALLS. The file is provided in Microsoft Word format so you can mix and match, using the vocabulary words you want to concentrate on. (NOTE: If you have problems downloading this file, leave me a message through TPT.) Students are given a thorough explanation of both synonym and antonym analogies. Then they are instructed to decide they type of analogy and choose the word that correctly completes it. See the preview to read the instruction students are given.
Here are some examples of analogies:
"Too bad there's not a VACCINE."
note : message : : vaccine : _____
d. chicken pox
Still Thomas J HESITATED.
sobbed : laughed : : hesitated : _____
"Somebody put in a dime and punched a button and out we came, ready or not, and settled in the same GROOVE."
question : answer : : groove : _____
She looked around to see whom she could PESTER.
have : possess : : pester : _____
a. play with
b. talk to
Here are my unique products over THE PINBALLS—perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them in my store.
• THE PINBALLS 12 Shuffled Similes—Fun & Unique!
Students rearrange tiles to form similes from the book.
• THE PINBALLS: 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas
Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
• THE PINBALLS: 2 Vocabulary Crosswords—Fun Learning!
Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• THE PINBALLS: 20 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Good Spelling Workout!!
Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• THE PINBALLS: 3 Reading-for-Detail Crosswords—Good Objective Review!
A great way to check students’ reading skills and understanding of the story!
• THE PINBALLS: 25 Vocabulary Analogies—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Students complete analogies containing the 25 Words to Know from The Pinballs edition of Bookmarks Plus. Good practice for standardized tests!
• THE PINBALLS: 50 Vocabulary Analogies—Mix & Match! Students complete analogies containing challenging words. Good practice! Note: All 25 Words to Know from The Pinballs edition of Bookmarks product and the 25 Vocabulary Analogies product are included in this product.
• THE PINBALLS: Crossword Based on Homophones from the Book—Fun!
The answers to this puzzle are pairs of cross-referenced homophone from the book. In parentheses after each clue is the clue number of that homophone’s “partner.” Students won’t know all the answers, but they can use one homophone to help solve the other. A fun spelling workout and a very unique approach to learning homophones!
• THE PINBALLS: 10 Word Merge Puzzles—One “Word” Becomes Two!
Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• THE PINBALL: 3 Categorized Word Searches
Categories: Characters & Names; Television Shows and Famous People (plus 2 dogs); Products. Each word search has a hidden word or phrase.
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!