PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
11.42 MB | 25 pages
This 25-page product features a comprehensive literature guide for use while reading Edgar Allan Poe's tale of terror and torture, "The Pit and the Pendulum." The packet provides an excellent basis for comprehension and vocabulary acquisition for the short story and encourages students to think critically about Poe's use of sensory details, literary elements, figurative language, and symbolism. A full answer key is provided along with two bonus student-tested lesson plans. The wide range of activities in this guide will keep your students engaged and help them to gain a deep understanding of one of the most horrifying tales in American literature.
- Attractive Cover Page for Student Packet
- Anticipation Guide - "Creative Quick-Write"
- Vocabulary Worksheet
- Sensory Detail Drawing Activity
- Sensory Detail Chart
- Sensory Detail Analysis Open Response
- Comprehension Questions
- Literary Elements Chart
- Figurative Language Worksheet
- Symbolism Activity
- Full Answer Key for Teacher Use
- Suggested Lesson Plan for Anticipation Guide
- Suggested Lesson Plan for Sensory Detail Study
While this literature guide is Common Core aligned for eighth grade, it is appropriate for students in eighth-twelfth.
Also, check out these great products by Language Arts Excellence to supplement your Edgar Allan Poe unit: