Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
0.68 MB | 20 pages
This mini lesson contains two files – one PowerPoint presentation and one Word document.
Mini lesson – The Pit and the Pendulum
1. Hand out guided notes
2. Instruct students to write down five facts about Poe as you show slides 1-10.
3. Show slide 11 and tell students that they’ll be reading one of Poe’s short stories today.
4. Instruct students to look at their guided notes in the vocabulary section. As you read each word aloud, students should circle a 1 (I don’t know this word), 2 (I’ve heard this word, but I’m not completely sure what it means), or 3 (I know this word and can use it correctly in a sentence).
5. Show slides 12 and 13 as students write the definition of each word.
6. Show slide 14. Read the words/phrases aloud. Ask students to predict what the story will be about based on these phrases from the story.
7. Have students choose seven phrases from the predictogram and ask a question using that phrase. Students will answer their own questions as they read the story.
8. Show slide 15 and explain what students will be learning. *Change the standards to fit your curriculum.
9. Show slide 16. Have students write the definition of symbol in their guided notes. Show slide 17.
10. Show slide 18. Begin reading the story. Show slide 19 at the appropriate time during the story.
11. Together or independently, have students answer 1-10 under Literary Focus in their guided notes.
12. Students can complete the Critical Thinking section for homework or as an independent assignment during class or even as an extra credit assignment. The choice is yours.
13. Show slide 20 and have students complete their Ticket Out the Door.