This unit based directly on “The Polar Express” will help you meet the demands of Common Core, while also keeping your students working and engaged in the week prior to Christmas vacation!
All materials in this unit were designed based on Common Core. If your state doesn't use common core, the materials will still fit in perfectly with the key ideas that you would want to teach with this text! When you purchase this unit, you receive 75 PAGES of RESOURCES!!! What a bargain!!
Many of the organizers/work in this unit come BOTH with and without learning targets (objectives) and Common Core State Standard #’s printed directly on the document for those districts that require this feature. You can select the option that works best for you and your students!
This unit was designed with older students in mind. Please note that the materials in this unit would be appropriate for students in 3rd grade and up. Many of the organizers come with differentiated versions to meet the rigor component for older students, or to differentiate the various learning abilities and styles in your classroom.
The materials in this unit meet all of the literature standards except #5, although depending on how you use the theme and characterization organizers, those standards would apply as well.
Standard #9 is also covered with the text of “’Twas the Night Before Christmas” (which IS included) as well as a Venn Diagram and 6 questions that can be used for students to compare and contrast the ideas in both of these texts.
All materials are extremely cute and creative. Great clip art and borders make these materials very visually appealing and therefore exciting to students!
*Making Inferences Graphic Organizer-RL.1
* The First Gift of Christmas-RL.1
* Summary Organizer & Writing Task-RL.2
*Theme-4 differentiated versions of a theme organizer –RL.2
* Character Snapshots Activity-RL.3
*Characterization Organizer for main character-RL.3
* Plot Map-RL.3
* Retelling-2 Different versions of a retelling organizer-RL.3
* Foldable: Story Cube-3 differentiated version, cube, and pre-writing template-RL.3
* Story Map-2 differentiated versions-RL.3
* Imagery Organizer and Writing Task-RL.4
* Setting-3 differentiated versions of a setting organizer-RL.3
* Conflict-2 differentiated organizers-RL.3
* Imagery Card Sort-23 Imagery Sorting Cards with examples from “The Polar Express”-RL.4
* Figurative Languge-2 differentiated graphic organizers-RL.4
* Point of View Writing Task-RL.6
*Compare/Contrast Movie to Text chart w/writing prompt-RL.7
* Compare/Contrast Movie to text Venn Diagram w/writing prompt –RL.7
* ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas Text (public domain)-RL.9
*Questions to Compare/Contrast Polar Express to “’Twas the Night Before Christmas”-RL.9
* Venn Diagram to Compare/Contrast Polar Express to “’Twas the Night Before Christmas”-RL.9
* Hot Chocolate Word Choice organizer & writing task-RL.4
*Acrostic Poems-4 versions of a Polar Express acrostic poem
* Writing a sequel-3 sequel ideas and writing paper -W.3
Looking for a NO Prep New Year's Packet for an easy transition after Winter Break? Check out my New Year's Product!
New Year's NO PREP Reflection and Resolution Packet
Check out my other fun Christmas Products!
• Elf on the Shelf MEGA Classroom Bundle
• Christmas Word Puzzle Games-NO PREP
• Christmas Figurative Language NO PREP Digital Game
• Kindness Elves Christmas Writing Prompts, Papers, and Card Templates
• Santa Interview and Newspaper Writing Task
• Elf Training Guide-A Fun and Creative Writing Task to Create a Training Guide for New Elves at the North Pole
• Santa Takes a Vacation: 6 Creative Writing Prompts with Matching Papers
• Reindeer Partner Cards & Grouping Cards with Matching Table/Wall Signs
Please contact me if you would like anything tweaked or edited, or if you have questions. Thank you so much for checking out my product!