In this 5 page packet you have everything you need to complete an activity about The Preamble: the 6 Purposes of Government, using the Concept Attainment Strategy. The idea behind this strategy, is that you discuss a topic students are familiar with in order to introduce a new topic. When students make the connection between the two, they understand the new concept on a deeper level. In this activity your students will:
1) Read a funny story about a shipwrecked cruise ship and discuss the problems that the people encountered as a result of this event. This is the perfect “hook” or lead-in to use that will allow students to understand the Preamble on a deeper level.
2) Compare the story of the shipwreck to the actual meaning of the Preamble while completing a graphic organizer.
3) Then list events that prompted the Framers of the Constitution to include the 6 purposes of government, as written, in the Preamble. (Another connection)
4) Application. Students will read and discuss a current event related to each of the 6 purposes of government to answer the question “How does this event illustrate, and to what extent, how the U.S. government is OR is NOT fulfilling its intended purpose TODAY?”
5) Share out in small groups.
Very engaging lesson! All handouts, materials, and TEACHER DIRECTIONS/KEY are included.
Follow My Store!
Follow my store... simply click on “follow me” under Learning is a Passion on the top of my store page. You will be the first to receive notifications when I post awesome new products and have sales.
Leave Feedback and Earn Credits
Don’t forget to leave positive feedback after you purchase a product! Leaving feedback will earn you "credits" which can be used for discounts on future purchases. I would very much appreciate your positive comments!
Want more US Government?
~7 Activity~ U.S. Government Bundle
U.S. Government ~7 Videos and Corresponding Student Worksheets~
U.S. Government: Federalism ~Student Activities~
U.S. Government: How a Bill becomes Law Graphic Organizer
US Government: Executive Branch Activities & Video
U.S. Constitution: The Legislative Branch Student Handbook Activity
U.S. Government: The President Wears Many Hats ~A Gallery Walk Activity~
Washington D.C. Tour ~A Student Activity~