The following is a two-day (75 minute periods) common core-based lesson/worksheet that focuses on the Presidency of James Monroe and the Era of Good Feelings. This worksheet is loaded with a variety of student-centered activities designed to promote active engagement and critical thinking. Several activities include:
• Do now that reviews the War of 1812 and its connection to the Era of Good Feelings.
• Introduction of the Era – Aim question for the lesson – Was the Era of Good Feelings appropriately named? All activities and readings will help students either agree or disagree.
• Secondary source readings focus on the American System, the Marshall Court, the Panic of 1819, and the Missouri Compromise. – Includes a tremendous amount of critical thinking questions perfect for small group or whole class discussion.
• Close reading of the Monroe Doctrine – includes several critical thinking and thought provoking questions.
• Wrap it up – Students respond to the aim question with a thorough paragraph. – Rubric for paragraph is included.
This worksheet can easily be modified to fit a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Please follow me to receive notifications about newly uploaded products. Finally, please rate this worksheet. Thanks!