Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
The following worksheet is a 90-minute, common core-based lesson on the Progressive Era. The lesson focuses mainly on problems of the Gilded Age, the birth of the Progressive era, the muckrakers and their role in reform, and several local and state progressive reforms. The lesson includes a variety of student-centered activities designed to develop critical thinking and analytical skills. Several activities contained in this lesson include:
• Do now that appropriately sets up the lesson.
• Secondary source reading on Boss Tweed and the Political Machine
• Pair-Share Activity – What is progress?
• Introduction to the Progressive Era and the muckrakers
• Reading from Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle
• NEW! Muckraker Case Studies Activity – Group activity focusing around 5 significant muckrakers culminating with the creation of an advertisement promoting one of them.
• Introduction to progressive state reforms
• Comparison paragraph – Progressivism vs. other US reform movements.
• Includes over 15 properly scaffolded comprehension and critical thinking questions
• Tremendous opportunities for class discussion.
• NEW! Brief 11 slide PowerPoint presentation containing political cartoons, images from Riis’ How the Other Half Lives, and notes.
• NEW! Answer key included!
• NEW! Lesson Plan Included with step-by-step teacher moves!
• NEW! Homework reading assignment, “The Muckrakers Reconsidered” with three follow up questions.
This worksheet can easily be modified to fit a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions/comments you might have. Please follow me to receive notifications about newly uploaded products. Finally, please take a moment to rate this worksheet. Thanks!