How did 9/11 impact children and how has psychology helped them overcome their emotional pain? In this important lesson, students will uncover the impact 9/11 had on the kids who witnessed, watched or suffered through the horrific events of that September day. Moreover, students will come to appreciate the seminal role psychological therapies played in the healing process.
Throughout the lesson, students will:
1) Start with a Bell Ringer that asks students to consider the perspectives of children witnessing people jumping to their death during 9/11.
2) Listen to an audio recording about children and teens remembering what they recall from that horrific day.
3) Participate in art therapy session as if they were a kid who directly witnessed or indirectly watched the terrorist attacks.
4) Read an article about how art therapy helped children traumatized by 9/11.
5) Watch a video clip regarding how different psychological therapies have helped the children of 9/11 victims deal with their emotional pain.
6) Finish with an exit ticket that asks students to answer the essential questions from the lesson.
Extension activities included!