****** This resource is for Interactive Notebooks or File Folders
. If you would prefer more traditional resources, check out the “The Random of Red Chief” short story unit HERE
In this 8-10-day unit students will develop a deep understanding of O. Henry’s short story "The Ransom of Red Chief"
. Its tale of two hapless kidnappers who snatch the wrong boy is filled with humor and twists that students adore. Students develop skills in understanding short story elements, irony, theme, vocabulary, and writing in this unit. Students will be assembling Interactive Notebooks or File Folders
as they read the story. Through whole class, small group, and independent work students not only stay actively engaged with their instruction, they also build crucial skills in reading, listening, and writing.
In this unit students will complete a collection of graphic organizers that they will assemble in an interactive notebook or file folder. The notebook or file folder and the interactive shapes serve as a fantastic hands-on educational tool. Students interact with their learning as they create the notebook or file folder and review the finished product.
The design of the interactive notebook or file folder serves many purposes:
• The notebook or file folder serves as a reference for students to use as they complete the literature study. It’s filled with 3-D representations of the unit’s instruction.
• The interactive learning materials provide a fun, hands-on approach to learning that taps into multiple learning styles.
• Creating an interactive notebook or file folder is motivating and empowering for all students.
• Interactive notebooks and file folders create a visual representation of the key concepts covered in the unit.
• Oh, and most importantly…they make learning fun!
Common Core State Standards
• R.1, R.2, R.3, R.4, R.5, R.10
• W.1, W.4, W.10
• SL.1, L.4, L.6
In this unit, students will...
• Understand and appreciate short story elements: plot, setting, characters, theme
• Build background information on O. Henry
• Build understanding of irony
• Develop understanding of direct and indirect characterization
• Increase vocabulary
• Make personal connections to text to increase comprehension
• Creatively write in response to a text
”The Ransom of Red Chief” Unit Highlights:
• Building Background – Author Study
• Reading Toolkit Graphic Organizers for Ongoing Comprehension Development
• Making Predictions Graphic Organizer
• Irony Analysis
• Creative Writing Activity – Mini-Book
Included in this “The Ransom of Red Chief” Interactive Notebook Unit:
• Unit Overview
• Reading Ideas and Tips
• Interactive Notebook Assembly Pictures
• Detailed Lesson Plans (10) - with Interactive Notebook Images
• Creative Writing Task
• Step-by-Step Mini-Book Assembly Instructions
• Final Test (multiple choice, matching, short answer)
• ALL Keys
Students will assemble their Interactive Notebooks
with the following interactive shapes:
• Author Background Timeline and Sort
• Vocabulary Flaps
• Connecting to the Story
• Plot Diagram
• Character Analysis
• Making a Prediction
• Investigating Irony
• List of Terror
• Venn Diagram
You may also like…
Interactive File Folder - "Thank You, M'am" Literature Study
Test Prep Bundle
- Answering Multiple Choice Questions, Responding to Short Answer Questions, and Motivational Test Prep
Narrative Writing Unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction