"The Ransom of Red Chief"
****This resource is for a literature study of O. Henry's "The Ransom of Red Chief."
If you would prefer similar resources that are designed to be used in an Interactive Notebook, check out the Interactive Notebook Literature Study HERE.
In this 8-day unit students will develop a deep understanding of O. Henry’s short story "The Ransom of Red Chief"
. Its tale of two hapless kidnappers who snatch the wrong boy is filled with humor and twists that students adore. Students develop skills in understanding short story elements, irony, theme, vocabulary, and writing in this unit. Through whole class, small group, and independent work students not only stay actively engaged with their instruction, they also build crucial skills in reading, listening, and writing.
Common Core State Standards
• R.1, R.2, R.3, R.4, R.5, R.10
• W.1, W.4, W.10
• SL.1, L.4, L.6
In this unit, students will...
• Understand and appreciate short story elements: plot, setting, characters, theme
• Build background information on O. Henry
• Build understanding of irony
• Develop understanding of direct and indirect characterization
• Increase vocabulary
• Make personal connections to text to increase comprehension
• Creatively write in response to a text
”The Ransom of Red Chief” Unit Highlights:
• Building Background – Author Study
• Reading Toolkit Graphic Organizers for Ongoing Comprehension Development
• Making Predictions Graphic Organizer
• Irony Analysis
• Creative Writing Activity – Mini-Book
Included in this “The Ransom of Red Chief” Unit:
• Unit Overview
• Reading Ideas
• Detailed Lesson Plans (8)
• Step-by-Step Mini-Book Instructions
• Building Background Information (6) - small group activity
• Venn Diagram (story vs. movie comparison - optional)
• Author Timeline
• Connecting to the Story
• Plot Diagram
• Character Analysis
• Investigating Irony
• Creative Writing Activity
• Test (multiple choice, matching, short answer)
• ALL Instructional and Assessment Keys
You may also like…
Descriptive Writing Unit
Poetry Analysis Unit
Reading Comprehension Skills - MEGA BUNDLE!
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction
FYI - Due to copyright regulations, the text for “The Ransom of Red Chief” is not included in this unit. However, you can easily get a copy of the story by searching for a PDF on the internet.