My aim in designing this comic book is to create a visual setting for the narrative of 'The Raven' that will help the student come to a better understanding of the storyline by supplementing the literary devices and symbols that Poe used when writing his famous poem. It can be printed for easy distribution, displayed as a slide show on a computer or used as an eBook on a tablet.
The Common Core states, 'There is a need in literature and social studies classes to evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats including visually and aurally.' I believe that comics and graphic novels can fulfill this standard and I hope you will find this product an engaging way of teaching your students.
This product includes;
1. A twenty one page color version of the comic with an explanation of the story and hints on how to use it.
2. The same twenty one page comic in black and white for easy printing. (As of Mar 23 2014 there are two BW versions. Version 2 has no background which makes it easier to print)
3. A two page work print that can be used by students to record new words and expressions, make notes on their understanding of each stanza, and write an analysis based on their studies.
4. Five pages of teacher notes containing suggestions on the use of the comic with students, along with web links to other useful resources.
5. As of March 3 2017 I have also added a silent movie of Edgar Allen Poe's, 'The Raven'. It takes the form of an illustrated presentation with animated text and pictures. There is a suitable musical background but no recitation of the poem. It was made using Apple Keynote software before exporting to video. Please note the movie is mp4 format.
For those who have access to Apple products I have also included the first two stanzas of the poem as the original Keynote, which can be used as a teacher's aid.
This new addition is a download, but is also available as a separate product in the Video Products section of TPT as an online version.
Other products related to literature and horror can be found at the links below.
Gothic Horror - A Multimedia Introduction
The Tell Tale Heart Comic Book
The Raven - Comic Book
by Paul Carr (kibishipaul)
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License