The Real Me | Interactive Elementary Art Lesson
Also included in
- This growing art lesson bundle provides high-quality, engaging, beautiful art lessons for students in grades k-5. Each lesson provides clear objects, visual art standards, step by step photos and teaching resources to accompany the lesson. Anyone can feel like an artist with these easy to follow artPrice $51.52Original Price $57.25Save $5.73
- Looking to get through a few lessons with your 3rd, 4th or 5th graders? Look no further! This little mini-bundle will help you do just that. _______________________________________________________________Happy Creating!Don't forget about the green ★ to follow my store to get notifications of new resPrice $21.20Original Price $26.50Save $5.30
- In need of a few good ideas for your K-2 classes? Look no further! This mini-bundle has what you need! _______________________________________________________________Happy Creating!Don't forget about the green ★ to follow my store to get notifications of new resources and freebies!Want more lessons?Price $13.00Original Price $15.00Save $2.00
"The Real Me” lesson is a fun and interactive mixed media self portrait project. In this lesson students will not only paint their physical appearance but focus on who they are on the inside and the things that makes them special and unique. By creating drawings, collages, and words of affirmation students will be able to express their true authentic selves through this project. Students will learn about the author/ illustrator Vanessa Brantley- Newton and how she creates mixed media illustrations for her books. This is more than a self portrait portrait, it's interactive, fun, deep and meaningful to the artist and all who get the opportunity to view it!
In this 30 page PDF, the lesson is broken down into clear and simple steps complete with full color photos demonstrating and explaining each step of the project. This lesson can be used for grades 2nd- 8th!
The digital pdf for this lesson includes:
-Supplies needed for the project
-Artist background info on Vanessa Brantley-Newton
-Step-by-Step Photo of the lesson from beginning to end with detailed explanation for each step.
-Helpful tips & tricks for teacher to share with students
-Simple Self Portrait Drawing Guide & Expression and Emotions PDF (5 pages total)
-5 Book recommendations to pair with the lesson
-Completed student examples for reference
- White paper
- tempera paint
- oil pastels
- variety of scrap paper
- and other mixed media of choice.
Here is what some buyers have said about this resource:
* * * * * Extremely satisfied
FAVOURITE resource of the year! As a new teacher to the class this activity was something that cemented me as a fav teacher and an activity which many of the children choose as their favourite activity of the year. We got so many compliments about these pieces from visitors to our class also. - Laura M.
* * * * * Extremely satisfied.
My students are loving this project. I love how she gives so many resources and step by step directions. Easy to follow and provides a lot of helpful resources to accompany this project. I love that this is a mixed media project and is inspired by a contemporary author/illustrator. The color mixing of skin tones is also a great color blending lesson and way to provide inclusion for all students. - Kathleen R.
* * * * * Extremely satisfied
I love all of artwithmrse's resources. They are always so colorful, specific, and organized. This product did not disappoint. The kids loved creating their multimedia art projects.- Nidya R.
Terms & Use:
Please note, in purchasing this resource, you are agreeing that the contents are the property of Kaitlyn Edington and licensed to you only for classroom/personal use. I, Kaitlyn Edington retain the copyright, and reserve all rights to this product.
This lesson is intended for classroom use only and may not claimed or resold as your own.
Don't forget about the green ★ to follow my store to get notifications of new resources and freebies!
For some of my other lessons, check out:
- Northern Lights Winter Landscapes Lesson
- Folk Art Lesson
- Whimsical Landscape Lesson
- Self Portrait Guide
- Bad Hair Day
- Dog Weaving Lesson
For something more simple, check out
For more inspiration and info on new products, be sure to click the follow me on Instagram at @artwithmrs.e
Key Words: Art, Lesson, collage, art project, self portrait, guided art project