Tired of your students asking you, “When are we ever going to need this in life?” This project is a great way to get your students to work collaboratively, use their creativity, practice their math skills, and learn what it’s like to live in The Real World.
Through this project students will have to develop a fictitious character. They will have to follow this person’s life for 21 days, write checks, and keep up with their register. Students will practice calculating percent and working with positive and negative rational numbers.
• Students will understand the basic elements of a check
• Students will be able to balance their register, write a check, and pay bills
• Students will accurately calculate percentages, including finding sales tax
• Practice spelling out numbers
• Use their analytical and reasoning skills in determining reasonable prices for items purchased
• Students will work collaboratively with their team members and reach a consensus by communicating their ideas to each other
• Copies of the checks worksheet (at least 5 sheets per group)
• Register/Balance Sheet (about 2 per group should be sufficient)
• 1 VITA Sheet per group
• 1 Project Info packet per group
• 1 calendar per group
• Scissors to cut the checks
• White paper for the groups to paste their support documentation (newspaper ad clippings, magazine photos, etc.)
• Newspaper sales ads/magazines
• Approximately one week.
• Use attached rubric; the project is divided into 4 grades. The first one is for the accuracy of the register to check that the math is correct. The second and third goes day by day as to what should be included in the register and their documentation for each day. The last one is for neatness and presentation. You can adjust the rubric as needed
Checkout the Preview File for more information. This is a ZIP file and you must have the proper software. Included is the original Word document for the register, rubric, and calendar so that you can adjust as needed.
This purchase is for one teacher only. This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. Multiple licenses can be purchased at a discounted price.
This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives. Leave feedback to earn credits for future purchases.