Project-Based Learning, according to the Buck Institute for Education, "is an effective and enjoyable way to learn - and to develop deeper learning competencies required for success in college, career, and civic life." Through PBL, students are active learners, and create real-life relevance that builds deep understanding of content studies.
This project will take students through an exciting, hands-on, and creative experience in learning about such concepts as friction, gravity, air resistance, and momentum.
Through this project, students will:
- Research to learn about a specific geographical location
- Highlight some key features of their researched location by designing a theme park ride that could be built in that area
- Draw and label a detailed diagram of a ride they intend to build a model of
- Build a 3-dimensional model of their ride
- Analyze the forces at play in their designed ride by writing a mechanical analysis report
- Write a fantastical story that takes place on or around their ride
Students will have the option of using Google Classroom to complete and submit components of this PBL, or this project can be done through a more traditional paper-based method.
This product is designed to directly correlate with the 5th Grade North Carolina Essential Standards for Science - 5.P.1.1, 5.P.1.2, 5.P.1.3, 5.P.1.4
Engineering Design Process
Force & Motion