This is an incredibly engaging common core-based lesson about the failures of the Weimar Republic after World War I and the eventual rise of Adolf Hitler. This worksheet includes a variety of student-centered activities designed to develop critical thinking skills and foster class discussion.
• Do now – students access prior knowledge about the Treaty of Versailles and the way it punished Germany.
• Secondary source reading about the Weimar Republic
• Art analysis of several paintings from the era to understand the problems Germany was facing.
• Election of Chancellor activity - Students will pretend to be a citizen of Germany voting to choose a new Chancellor. Three options (without names) are given and students vote. Invariably, most students choose the candidate that turns out to be Hitler. This is an incredible moment where students understand how someone like Hitler could come to power.
• Primary source analysis of Mein Kampf – critical thinking questions follow.
• Tremendous amount of discussion opportunities.
• Over 10 comprehension and critical thinking questions included!
• 11 slide PowerPoint presentation including the aim, photographs, charts paintings, and other images
• Lesson plan – step-by-step teacher moves to make implementation easier.
• Answer key for all questions.
Also offered on TPT:
Hitler and the New Germany - Global/World History Common Core
The Rise of Hitler & the "New" Germany Bundle - Global/World History Common Core
Bundle #10 - Interwar Period - Rise of Fascism - Global/World History
Bundle #5 - World War II - Global/World/US History Common Core
Bundle #6 - Expanded World War II - Global/World History Common Core
Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. Follow me to receive notifications for newly posted products. Please take a moment to rate this worksheet! Thanks!