Also included in
- This is a bundle of resources on Earth Science for Middle school. Purchase together here and save 20% This resource is designed to meet the NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas: History of The Planet Earth, Plate Tectonics and Large-Scale System Interactions, Earth's Materials and Systems, The Role of Water$35.80$44.75Save $8.95
- Earth’s Systems Middle School Bundle: This bundle includes the resources for Middle School Science Strand Earth’s System. Students will love these engaging science units that cover all the Earth’s Systems standards for Middle School NGSS. Save 20% by purchasing as a bundle!Units include:hands-on lab$55.80$69.75Save $13.95
- This Bundle for Utah SEEd 7th grade includes science resources for each strand and standard. Each unit included addresses specific Utah SEEd standards for 7th grade. Students will love these engaging activities for Utah SEEd 7th Grade. You will love saving time by having someone creating resources w$117.44$146.80Save $29.36
- The Middle School Science Bundle addresses all the DCIs for Middle School NGSS. This is a huge resource that addresses the complete NGSS Middle School Curriculum for grades 6th, 7th and 8th grade. This is a growing bundle and I will add new resources to it as they are created. Save 20% by purchasing$292.84$366.05Save $73.21
Students will develop a model to describe the cycling of Earth’s materials and the flow of energy that drives this process.
The rock cycle is an example of how Earth's materials are continually recycled. Students will love these engaging activities on the rock cycle and Earth's materials. This is part of the science stand Earth's Materials and Systems. Students will learn about the rock cycle through hands-on labs and close reading activities.
This middle school science resource includes:
- nonfiction text passages on the rock cycle
- response pages with text-dependent questions
- hands-on labs
- follow-up pages
- interactive notebook folds and flaps
- slide show
- QR code research
- a sorting activity
This resource has scientific reading passages with comprehension questions aligned with Middle School CCSS for Reading informational text.
This resource is aligned with the NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas: Earth Materials and Systems.
This resource is designed to meet the standard for NGSS Earths Systems:
NGSS MS-ESS2-1. Develop a model to describe the cycling of Earth’s materials and the flow of energy that drives this process.
It is also aligned with:
Utah SEEd 7.2.1 Develop a model of the rock cycle to describe the relationship between energy flow and matter cycling that create igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks. Emphasize the process of melting, crystallization, weathering, deposition, sedimentation, and deformation, which act together to form minerals and rocks.
Students will learn through the slide show, reading, and labs that Earth's materials are cycled throughout our Earth's system. They will learn how each type of rock (metamorphic, sedimentary, and igneous) rocks are formed. They will learn that all three types of rocks can be broken down and recycled in the rock cycle to make new rocks.
Science Concepts Addressed Include:
The Rock Cycle
Heat and pressure
Recycling of matter
Science and Engineering Practices Students Will Use Include:
Developing and Using Models
Planning and Carrying Out Investigations
Engaging in argument from evidence
Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
NGSS Crosscutting Concepts addressed include:
Cause and Effect
Scale, Proportion, and Quantify
System and System Models
Structure and Function
Stability and Change
Please leave feedback on this resource. Leaving feedback earns you valuable tpt credits that you can use to purchase other resources.
By Lynda R. Williams
Visit my blog
If you have questions about my resources please contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
Would you like to know more about creating a solar oven?
* My resources are secure and not editable for copyright reasons.
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours!
Please view other resources for Middle School Science: