The Rock Cycle Partner Play, Fluency Activity, Paired Reading #renew23
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Partner plays are engaging and effective in building reading fluency and comprehension. This huge bundle of 15 ORIGINAL partner plays includes before, during, and after reading activities to help your students with vocabulary, reading fluency, comprehension skills including story elements, questioniPrice $25.99Original Price $46.00Save $20.01
Partner plays are a great way to work on fluency, reading comprehension, and key content areas all at the same time. This partner play focuses on The Rock Cycle, a fifth grade science standard in Virginia and other states. The three rock types are included in a real life story about scientists exploring rocks in a geological dig.
HOW CAN TEACHERS USE THIS ROCK CYCLE RESOURCE?
This partner play was developed to support students who needed reading intervention AND support with science concepts. It takes a few days to complete the activities that accompany the play, so students have purposeful reading opportunities. By rereading the play, students build fluency, deepen understanding of content vocabulary and concepts, and are engaged purposefully with the text.
WHAT ACTIVITIES ARE INCLUDED IN THE ROCK CYCLE RESOURCE?
- Rockin' the Rock Cycle Play (4 pages)
- An ABC Brainstorm for Rock Cycle and Geology Words
- A vocabulary page to practice with using context clues and vocabulary word cards
- Questioning task cards (12 cards) that hit the higher level of Blooms and require students to cite text evidence and explain their thinking with a response sheet
- A comprehension page for during or after that requires students to record text information about each rock type
- A Rock Cycle anchor chart and practice page, and
- A "Summarizing My Learning" page for use as a quick write or exit ticket.
MORE ABOUT THIS RESOURCE:
You can use this resource for paired reading while you work with small groups, for guided reading time, or as part of your Rocks and Minerals unit. The target grade level is fourth or fifth grades since these concepts are taught at these levels typically.
For a detailed look at this unit, a preview is provided with all pages visible.
OTHER PARTNER PLAYS AVAILABLE FOR UPPER ELEMENTARY
- The Great Pumpkin Heist
- The Stubborn Reindeer
- Rockin' the Rock Cycle
- The Mystery of the Lost Mitten
- The Farmer and the Scarecrow
- Penguins on Parade
- Let's Learn about Veteran's Day
- Frosty's Magical Appearance
- Shiver Me Timbers! The Ocean's the Place for Me
- The Winner Takes the Prize
- Something Sharkie This Way Comes
- Tom's Lucky Day
- The Gift of Reading
- The Missing Cookie Mystery
OR....you can get them all at a great savings with the bundle:
PARTNER PLAYS BUNDLE FOR UPPER ELEMENTARY
TEACHERS LIKE YOU SAID…
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Julia C. says, "I have found it difficult to find reader's theatres that are short and with few characters. This is perfect for the reading expectation but also to teach about the science concept on which the script is based on. "
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Chelsea G. says, "Fun and different to use in science!"
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Amanda B. says, "Everything you need for the unit!"
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Baylor L. says, "I loved the play, and so did my class. We taped the questions around the room and they walked around with clip boards answering the questions. It was a lot of fun, and it helped with fluency, science, and other ELA standards."
Copyright © Comprehension Connection.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.