This story of the young British boy trying to buy his mother’s love will spring to life for your students when they complete each step of this plan. It covers multiple intelligences so all will be included in the scope of it.
The unit may take two or three class periods depending on what you choose to do. There are nine activities but you can do as many or as few of the worksheets as you want. Some can be assigned as homework.
This lesson includes:
• A vocabulary worksheet from the story
• Vocabulary Quiz with KEY
• A brief account of the British social classes of long ago
• Journal topic
• Close reading questions with KEY
• An assignment asking students to use higher order thinking skills concerning synthesizing and evaluating
• A graphic organizer in which students interpret literary terms: point of view, symbol, irony with KEY
• A T-chart asking students to plot cause and effect with KEY
• An assignment asking students to determine a theme or central idea of the story and analyze in detail its development over the course of the story with partial KEY
• Objective Quiz with KEY
This assignment could be used by a substitute also. Enjoy!