The following is a common core-based worksheet on the rise of the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages and the stability it created in a time of weak governments. The lesson contains several activities designed to promote class discussion and critical thinking skills.
Topics covered in this lesson include:
• The various roles of the Catholic Church during this time period – Stability, Charity, Preservation of knowledge, gathering money, law enforcement, offering salvation, and political power
• Cathedral building
• Church view on feudalism
Activities utilized in this lesson include:
• Do now that appropriately sets up the lesson
• Roles of the Catholic Church activity – analysis of the different Church roles followed by a ranking and the writing of a thesis statement in response to a prompt.
• Primary and secondary source analysis with critical thinking questions.
• Link to video on youtube with questions attached.
• Plenty of questions and discussion opportunities.
Since this worksheet is a Word document, you can easily change anything you’d like. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. Please rate this worksheet if you have a chance and follow me to receive updates when future products are uploaded. Thank you very much!