This file includes five activities for the short story "The Scarlet Ibis" by James Hurst. These activities will provide an anticipatory set, assess comprehension, and encourage analytical thinking.
Included in this short story packet for "The Scarlet Ibis":
* The anticipatory writing activity. Students will recall a time they felt emotions similar to what the narrator does in "The Scarlet Ibis." (This does not include an answer key, as all questions are opinion based).
* A short-answer reading quiz. The quiz has 5 questions focusing on comprehension. Use it alone as an after-reading quiz or include it in a larger test. Answer key included.
* A multiple-choice reading quiz. The quiz has five multiple choice questions (with three possible answers). Answer key included.
* A vocabulary quiz. This covers seven vocabulary words from the story in a matching format. Answer key included.
* Interactive notebook pieces. The pieces have unique visuals and cover theme, setting, conflict, and symbols. (They are pictured in the thumbnail).
I have taught "The Scarlet Ibis" dozens of times. Because of that, I have developed multiple teaching materials for it. I rarely use every activity included in this product; please choose what best works for individual students and classes.
Other short story quizzes in my store:
The Monkey's Paw