This file includes SIX activities for the short story "The Scarlet Ibis" by James Hurst. These activities will provide an anticipatory set, assess comprehension, practice identifying parts of a sentence, and encourage analytical thinking.
Included in this short story packet for "The Scarlet Ibis":
* The anticipatory writing activity. Students will recall a time they felt emotions similar to what the narrator does in "The Scarlet Ibis." (This does not include an answer key, as all questions are opinion based).
* A short-answer reading quiz. The quiz has 5 questions focusing on comprehension. Use it alone as an after-reading quiz or include it in a larger test. Answer key included.
* A multiple-choice reading quiz. The quiz has five multiple choice questions (with three possible answers). Answer key included.
* A vocabulary quiz. This covers seven vocabulary words from the story in a matching format. Answer key included.
* Interactive notebook pieces. The pieces have unique visuals and cover theme, setting, conflict, and symbols. (They are pictured in the thumbnail).
* Mentor sentences. I pulled ten sentences from the short story for students to identify subjects and verbs and then direct objects or predicate words.
I have taught "The Scarlet Ibis" dozens of times. Because of that, I have developed multiple teaching materials for it. I rarely use every activity included in this product for one class; please choose what best works for individual students and classes.
Other quizzes, activities, and mentor sentences from short stories in my store:
The Monkey's Paw