Also included in
- This popularly requested resource is here! This is a GROWING BUNDLE for resources related to the 2nd half of U.S. History. Any resources I create for the 2nd half of U.S. History will be added to this bundle. Eventually, you will have full access to a Word Wall, at least 11 full units of study, plan$137.95$216.95Save $79.00
- This unit plan contains standards-aligned and engaging student-centered lessons relating to the Roaring Twenties. Students will time travel through the 1920s and learn about major events from the 1920s like Prohibition, new voting rights for women, and the Harlem Renaissance along with some of the m$18.95$26.40Save $7.45
This lesson plan provides teachers with a creative way to teach a topic that can be difficult for students to understand. The Scopes Monkey Trial was one of the major events of the 1920s, and the major debate at the center of the trial has carried on through history. I've designed a simple little skit that lays out the major events. Characters include two narrators, George Rappleyea, Walter White, Fred Robinson, Sue Hicks, Wallace Haggard, John Scopes, Clarence Darrow, William Jennings Bryan, Thomas Stewart, Howard Morgan, a Police Officer and Judge Raulston.
The play is based on the basic facts of the court case, although I didn't rely on actual dialogue. I've added in some fun little jokes that I know your students will enjoy (as I've been teaching these grades for a long time, I know what students will find funny).
This lesson plan is linked with NYS Social Studies standards, however, I'm sure you could add your own. It includes a 1 page lesson plan, a 5 page script, and a short exit ticket to check for understanding.
Included in this resource:
- Lesson with a PDF version, a PowerPoint document, and a link to a Google Slides version for easy editing.
- Lesson plan for implementation
Check out all of my lessons in this era of study:
- Roaring Twenties Simulation - Students "time travel" through the 1920s
- The Scopes Monkey Trial - Classroom Skit
- The Harlem Renaissance - Digital Exploration of Music and Art
- America in COLOR 1920s - Viewing Guide to the Intriguing Documentary
- The Prohibition Era - Background reading and a fun true/false quiz
- The Roaring Twenties - Word Wall - 26 Word Wall terms with posters, a word list, and a review game
- The Roaring Twenties (1920s) Summative Assessment Cultural Artifact Project
Tips for Customers:
Follow my store to be the first to know when I launch new products. Simply click the little green star next to my name, and my new products will appear on the front page of your TPT account.
Did you know you can earn TPT credit towards future purchases?
Make sure you’re logged into your account, and find your My Purchases page. For each purchase you’ve made, make sure to leave feedback. This feedback earns you credit towards future purchases - it’s like free TPT money! Feedback is very important to me, as it helps me to create new products. If you have any questions regarding a TPT product you’ve purchased from me, simply e-mail me at email@example.com
You can find more Social Studies resources, links, and discussion at my blog - peacefieldhistory.com.