This writing unit uses the highly-engaging book from David Wisniewski (The Secret Knowledge of Grown Ups) as a mentor text for students to write their own "truths". This is a wonderful unit for students who struggle to get interested in writing!
Included in this unit is everything you need (minus the book) to get this activity off the ground:
- 1 page of instructions
- 4 pages of school rules to help generate ideas for students
- 1 EDITABLE page for you to add your own class' rules
- 2 planning pages to plan the rule, the "Official Reason", the beginning, middle, and end of "The Truth" and the 5 W's of the "History of the Truth" along with a warning to readers
- 4 publishing pages (2 for the story, 1 for the illustration, and 1 for the cover)
- student rubric (smiley faces scale)
- teacher rubric (4,3,2,1 scale)
This activity aligns with the following 3rd Grade Common Core State Standards:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.3 Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, descriptive details, and clear event sequences.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.3a Establish a situation and introduce a narrator and/or characters; organize an event sequence that unfolds naturally.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.3b Use dialogue and descriptions of actions, thoughts, and feelings to develop experiences and events or show the response of characters to situations.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.3c Use temporal words and phrases to signal event order.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.3d Provide a sense of closure.
For more information, check out my blog: 3rd Grade Thoughts
Thanks and enjoy!