No prep Four mini-lessons on the Selma Marches. Intended for
middle and high school.
All student pages in black and white for easy printing.
What is in this packet:
1. Informational Reading passage about the Selma marches (non fiction reading passage)
2. Reading comprehension questions over the passage
3. a Persuasive Essay prompt based on the passage
4. a lined STAAR Persuasive Essay answer box (for teachers in Texas).
5. an Activity: Take a Literacy Test. Included is an actual literacy test given by the state of Louisiana in the early 1960s to citizens trying to register to vote. The citizens had 10 minutes to complete it. See how your students do!
6. Information on how to use the packet / how to divide into mini-lessons.
7. Answer Keys for the reading questions, not for the literacy test
For teachers in Texas:
All the questions use STAAR-type stems. The persuasive essay prompt is good STAAR practice.
KW: Selma ELA ELAR MLK Martin Luther King, Jr. Martin Luther King Jr
ELA Secondary nonfiction Social Studies Voting Rights Civil Rights protest marches
Reading Informational Text Reading Comprehension Questions Reading Persuasive Text
STAAR Test Prep persuasive essay writing STAAR test prep TEKS common core aligned secondary the 1960s 1960's
TEKS Covered (for those teaching in Texas):
TEKS Grades 6,7,8 TEKS 2.9; 10; 11;[reading informational and persuasive texts] 18 [writing persuasive essay]
TEKS Grades 9-12 TEKS 9; 10; [reading informational and persuasive texts] 16; [writing persuasive essay]
Common core aligned.
If you like this product, check out my Rhetorical Appeals and Fallacies Lesson Bundle!
If you like this product, check out my Martin Luther King Secondary Lesson Bundle!
I also do custom lessons. Just let me know what you need.