What do you get when you load a blender with oodles of awesome vocabulary, loads of reading comprehension skill practice, and Elizabeth George Speare’s beautiful novel, The Sign of the Beaver
, then press puree?
Why, you get a fabulously thorough and engaging Guided Reading packet, of course!
Here at the 88Brains studio we are wholly intent on equipping students with the tools they’ll need to get the most out of everything they read. To that end, we have taken The Sign of the Beaver
and mined its compelling depths for all kinds of great reading skills, all while crafting a veritable bounty of practice questions to help your young Knowledge Knights master
Let’s get down to brass tacks.
Here's what we provide for each chapter:
* An "I Can" statement that gives an overall learning objective that clearly states what each child should be able to do upon completion of the chapter.
* Pre-selected vocabulary words, definitions, example sentences, and a place for your students to demonstrate their mastery of the words by writing their own sentences.
* A mini-lesson that introduces or reviews a specific reading skill.
* Reading skill practice examples for the following skills:
- Main Idea/Supporting Details
- Topic Sentence
- Analyzing Characters
- Context Clues
* Activities that the students complete to practice the reading skills, including graphic organizers, fill-in-the-blank activities, and crossword puzzles
* A literacy skill practice assignment that students can complete individually, in pairs or small groups, or with the teacher. Literacy skills for Sign of the Beaver
- Root Words
- Complete Sentences/Fragments
- Types of Sentences
* A writing challenge section. These are presented in three formats:
- General writing challenges which invite students to participate with the characters and plot by drawing parallels to their own experiences. (Think: text-to-self, text-to-text, or text-to-world.)
- Figurative language writing challenges which introduce and review similes, metaphors, onomatopoeia, and hyperbole. Students will then complete sentence prompts to practice using these forms of figurative language.
- Visualization writing challenges which invite students to describe sights, sounds, smells and feelings by extrapolating details from the setting and putting themselves inside the world of the story.
* Super-cute original clip art illustrations
* A vocabulary review section that will spiral back through the selected vocabulary of previous chapters.
* Vocabulary review quizzes that assess students’ mastery of selected vocabulary (chapters 1-6; 7-17; and 18-25)
We wrap up the packet with the following:
* A general review crossword puzzle requiring students to provide the names of various reading/literacy skills and figurative language types introduced throughout the packet.
* A figurative language review activity AND a figurative language quiz in which students must correctly identify the type of figurative language being used when given sentences excerpted from the book.
* A 20-question multiple-choice assessment that prepares students for EOGs, EOCs, and other standardized tests.
* Answer Keys.
* The Sign of the Beaver
* Your own special Teacher Swag!
* Print in color to enhance the super-cuteness of the clip art illustrations
* Consider printing front and back for green points
* Continue shopping at the 88Brains store ;)
* Keep being awesome
By the way,
if you find yourself in need of extra context clue practice, we've got PLENTY. Check these resources out:
* Introduction to Context Clues - FREEBIE
* A Third Grader's Guide to Context Clues
* A Fourth Grader's Guide to Context Clues
Following, Rating and Earning Credits
* "How can I FOLLOW THE BRAINS to stay up to date on all of their new and updated products and freebies?"
♦ On the right side of the web page, beneath the Digital Download box and the "Made by 88Brains" sign, find the Green Star along with the words "Follow Me" beside it.
♦ Simply click that and PRESTO!, you're officially in the loop, so you'll always have the freshest 411
* "How can I LEAVE FEEDBACK and GET CREDITS for my future TpT purchases?"
♦ Open the My TpT tab (top of the web page, between the Search box and the My Cart tab).
♦ Click on My Purchases (you may be prompted to Log In).
♦ Click the Provide Feedback button next to the product you'd like to Rate.
♦ Let us know what's working for you, what you'd like to see more of, etc. This helps us provide you with the best service possible.
♦ Every dollar you spend equals 1 Credit, and every 20 Credits equal $1.00 off future purchases, but you've got to Rate and Comment to earn them!
♦ Earn Credits, Save $$$, Repeat
Thanks for taking the time to check us out!
We looove hearing from you, so drop us a line anytime.